Writing a Musical Master Class with Ben Boecker
Writing a Musical
WHO: 5th – 8th Grades
WHERE: Virtually Offered
TIME: 7:00 – 8:00 PM
DATE: August 12
SPELLBOUND! A MUSICAL CREATIVITY WORKSHOP
Have you ever wondered what it’s like to create a brand new musical? Well now’s your chance to find out! BAL Musical Director, Ben Boecker, invites you to sing, dance, and write along as he takes you through the process of creating his new musical, “Spellbound! A Perfect Musical Fairytale.” You’ll learn how a song is inspired, discover what it means to be a dance arranger, collaborate with the author to craft your own version of the show’s final number, and more!
Spellbound!” received a 4-performance showcase production in June 2019 at Open Jar Studios, where it was shown to over 250 people! Ben is a member of the BMI Workshop, which has churned out writers of hit musicals like Frozen, Avenue Q, Book of Mormon, and more.
- Offered for participants in grades 5 thru 8.
- Registration begins on 08/06/2020 and ends on 08/12/2020.
- Space is limited: RSVP today!
About Ben Boecker
Ben Boecker is a singer-songwriter, teaching artist, and voice teacher living and working in New York City. His full-length musical, “Spellbound! A Perfect Musical Fairytale” (NMI Search For New Musicals Grand Prize Winner 2016, Disney/NMI New Voices Award 2016) has been developed at the BMI Workshop, Andrew Lippas’ Writers’ Bloc, and Ken Davenport’s Writers’ Group. Ben has worked as an NYC teaching artist for five years with companies including Brooklyn Acting Lab, TADA!, City Center, Usdan Arts Camp, Wingspan Arts, A Class Act, and the Open Hydrant Theater Company. Learn more about Ben here.
Live Master Class Via Zoom
- All virtual classes are conducted via Zoom. Download Zoom here: https://zoom.us/
- A Zoom invite will be sent to you one hour before the class begins.
- Please sign on at the scheduled time of the class.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having any issues joining.
How to prepare for the Zoom Theater
- Clear some free space for your child to move. Be sure that there aren’t any pieces of furniture, plants, or visiting pets to bump into or trip over.
- Place the device on a stable surface with the video turned on.
- Get ready to have fun!
- We understand everyone’s arrangement is different… we’ll make it work!